Here and There: SHAPE happenings across North America
The busy days of camp meetings and vacations are slowing giving way to the routines of school and fall kick-off activities for local congregations—and SHAPE events.
• The South Memorial Drive Church of God in New Castle, Indiana, the newest site of a SHARE pilot program, continues to meet monthly with Paul. The SHARE assessment tool revealed areas needing strengthening and the congregational leadership team is now taking steps to improve their relationships and build a more effective leadership team. Chris Gammello pastors the New Castle congregation.
• The sixth cohort launch of SHAPE Tennessee occurred August 22–24 at Camp Overton in middle Tennessee. Cluster leaders for this newest Tennessee cohort are Don Hackney (Fayetteville), Bobby Morrison (Horse Creek, Greeneville), and Danny and Linda Pinter (Scott Memorial, Chattanooga). Participants in this cohort are: E. J. Swatsell, Harold Jones, Kent Aiken, Jr. Burchell, Rick Ballard, Teri Henderson, Sandy Hobbs, Mary Braschler, Nathan Heady, and Kevin Cummins. Dwayne Pierce is the Tennessee SHAPE regional director.
• Training continued August 18-19 at the Northeast Ohio Retreat Center in Berlin Center, with Shannon New-Spangler, Brian Smith and Jonathan Holloway preparing to lead the first SHAPE clusters in that district. The first cohort is scheduled to launch in January 2014.
• The first leader training in the Carolinas occurred at Ridgecrest, North Carolina, September 9–10 with Steve Allen, Velma Champlain, Bob Cook, Steve Greer, Steve Hartsell, Michael Hone, Priscilla Logan, Jon McDivitt, Standley Moore, Richard Rusnak, David Smith, and Derek Specht joining the ranks of SHAPE cluster leaders. As regional pastor Mike Claypool commented: “I think the timing is right for us!” Training will continue into the fall. A date has not been set for the cohort 1 launch.
• Western Pennsylvania Cohort Two leader training began September 23–25 at Whitehall Camp in Emlenton. Present were Christ and Sharon Goodwin, Amy Worline, John Milliron, and Greg Smith. Rebecca New-Edson serves as regional director of SHAPE in WPA. We are grateful for the service of Barbara Ferraro, who has served as SHAPE regional coordinator in WPA. She and her husband Harold plan to retire soon and move to Indiana to be closer to family. We pray God’s rich blessings upon the Ferraros during this time of transition.